Main Article Content
Ventricular diverticulum is a rare cardiac condition with characteristics of a localized aneurysm from the cardiac chamber. This abnormality may exist either in isolation or with other cardiac defects. Clinically, patients with such a condition are often asymptomatic, however fatal complications can arise (1). Diagnosis can be established by two-dimensional (2-D) echocardiography and supported by other diagnostic modalities. This article presents a case study with congenital left ventricular (LV) diverticulum from a 2-D echocardiographic approach, and aims to guide cardiac sonographers to make appropriate diagnosis from differential pathologies.
(2) Nikolav D, Grigorova V, Kirova G, et al. Rare diagnosis of fibrous cardiac diverticulum in an adult followed by urgent surgical intervention. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2012;15(3):563-5
(3) Alfonso L, Kottam A, Khetarpal V. Myocardial cleft crypt, diverticulum, or aneurysm? Does it really matter? Clin. Cardiol. 2009;32(8):48-51
(4) Sherif HMF, Maniar HS, Spadea N, et al. Left ventricular diverticulum mimicking ventricular pseudoaneurysm in an adult. Tex Heart Inst J. 2010;37(5):584-7
(5) Ohlow MA, Congenital left ventricular aneurysms and diverticula: definition, pathophysiology, clinical relevance and treatment. Cardiology 2006;106(2):63-72
(6) Mady C. Left ventricular diverticulum: analysis of two operated cases and review of the literature. Angiology 1982;33:280-6
(7) Vazquez-Jimenez J. Cardiac diverticulum. Orphanet encyclopedia 2003:1-2
(8) Makkuni P, Kotler MN, Figueredo VM, Diverticula and aneurysmal structures of the left ventricle in adults. Tex Heart Inst J. 2010;37(6):699-705
(9) Gadde S, Omar B, Chest pain with apical diverticulum in the absence of coronary artery disease: case report and review of the literature. Cardiol Res. 2015;6(6):352-6
(10) Bisoyi S, Dash AK, Nayak D, et al. Left ventricular pseudoaneurysm versus
aneurysm a diagnosis dilemma. Ann Card Anaesth. 2016;19(1):169-172
(11) Inayat F, Ghani AR, Riaz I, et al. Left ventricular pseudoaneurysm: an
overview of diagnosis and management. J Investig Med High Impact Case Rep.